- Love macaroni and cheese? We often add frozen peas to them to get a green veggie in and to make a favorite not so healthy food a bit healthier. It also adds a little crunch!
- Lasagna is a favorite food at our house. We make it just a bit healthier by making it all veggie by using a vegetarian meat substitute and we usually sneak in a little spinach.
- Chili is another favorite at our house and I always make it with a veggie product instead of meat. You would be surprised once you get used to it how much your digestive system will thank you for it.
- Remember I told you about my sweet tooth. You may add spinach to brownies to sneak in a little extra veggies and to decrease your guilt.
- Watch your beverages. Many of us consume many calories via beverages. Like lemonade? You may add fresh lemon to ice water for a sugar free alternative.
- I love smoothies! There are several recipes all over the net to add spinach and other veggies to your fruit smoothies without changing the taste. This is a great way to start your hurried day.
- Making a casserole? Veggies such as carrots may be shredded and added without affecting the taste. Doing this can help you get enough veggies into your family's day.
- Portion control. Does this make food healthier? Yes, we don't need super sized portions. If you can go from 3portions of lasagna to 1 serving size then compliment with fruit and veggies, your body will thank you in the long run.
- I like yogurt but sometimes the runny texture just isn't what I'm in the mood for. I like to keep a box of grape nuts cereal on hand to mix in my yogurt. This adds crunch and fiber making it a healthier sweet snack.
- Consider the way you cook your food. Baking or grilling fish and chicken is much healthier than frying and can be just as good by adding the right seasonings. Just make sure you aren't adding seasonings filled with salt. Many salt free alternatives are available.
Eating on the run. Try Heinz Weight Watchers SmartOnes. They are located in the freezer section at your grocer and are delicious. When I worked outside of the home this was often my quick go to item for lunch. Coupon Offer and Savings: http://www.eatyourbest.com/coupon
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and WeightWatchers SmartOnes blogging program, making me eligible to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”