Careful planning can prevent traveling/vacation disasters. As a member of Twitter Moms I was prompted to write about my 10 tips for Fun Distration Free Travel. Check out the challenge here: Twitter Moms
1. Research- I know it doesn't sound like fun but if you do this beforehand you can save yourself a ton of trouble. Search online for information about your destination: hotels, attractions, restaurants. Ask family and friends who have traveled to your destination before. Don't forget your online community. Reach out to others online to get information from their experiences.
2.Make hotel reservations and purchase attraction tickets ahead of time to avoid any disappointments.
3. Make a List. A few weeks before your trip make a list of things that you need to do in preparation including: taking care of pets, mail, plants while you are gone, things to purchase for your trip, and things to pack.
4. When shopping for items to take on your vacation you may be able to avoid a lot of stress by using travel and sample items that your helpful frugal bloggers have provided you information about. ;) Travel is expensive so saving even in little areas reduces financial stress.
5. Husband's please read- Get a map! Seriously, if you are driving to your destination or within your destination make sure that you have a current map. Even if you have been to the area before things may have changed. You can utilize several different resources for maps with helpful information such as construction and detour information.
6. When packing clothes try to pack versatile items that you can mix and match to extend your wardrobe and save on space. Plan for all types of weather.
7. If traveling by car make a Travel Kit. My travel kit usually includes drinks, snacks, movies, cd's, books and activities for the kids.
8. Have a back up plan. If the weather doesn't cooperate have a backup plan as to what you might spend your day doing. This may be as simple as packing swimsuits for an indoor pool during winter travel or knowing where the local mall, movie theater's etc are located.
9. If traveling by car make sure that you have it serviced before your trip. Even if your car is up to date on all it's services it is best to have it checked over than to be sorry and stranded wasting precious vacation time.
10. Have fun. Is that a tip? Yes, I for one am such a perfectionist that I can forget this sometimes. Be flexible. If things don't go just as planned just go with the flow and use your backup plan. Sometimes the most fun can be had as a result of a mix up. Make the most of it!